Twitter icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

Honorable Tim Walz

Representing the 1st District of MINNESOTA

Social Security Administration

My Rochester office may be able to help you resolve problems with existing Social Security claims and benefits (including lost or delayed checks).

For general information about Social Security issues, visit the Social Security Administration’s website.  Follow these links for information about:


Frequently Asked Questions:

Where is my local Social Security office?

The Social Security Administration has field offices throughout Minnesota. In order to locate the office closest to you, click here.

You can find your local office by clicking on the “local office search” option.

How do I apply for Social Security disability benefits?

You can apply for social security disability benefits online on the Social Security website. You can also get assistance with your application over the phone or in person by visiting your local office.

More information about applying for social security disability benefits is available here.

I have been waiting for several months for a Social Security Disability hearing. Can Congressman Walz’s office check on the status of my case?

My office can contact the Social Security Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR) and request that your case be marked “congressional interest.” ODAR will then update my office regularly on the status of your case.

Can Congressman Walz’s office expedite my hearing date for my application for Social Security disability benefits?

The average wait time for a hearing is 18 to 21 months. Unfortunately, our office is unable to reduce the wait time. In certain, limited instances, the Social Security office will expedite case processing. In order for a case to be expedited, you must meet one of the following conditions: lack of food, inability to afford prescriptions or receive adequate medical care, lack of health insurance, imminent eviction, or homelessness. If you feel you meet one of these requirements, please contact my Rochester office for assistance.

I submitted a claim for Social Security disability benefits but I have not received any information. Can Congressman Walz’ office check on my claim?

If you have submitted a claim for disability benefits and have not received a response from the Social Security Administration, my office can make an inquiry to check on the status of your claim. Please be aware that the Social Security Administration makes final decisions regarding whether a claim can be approved under their pre-established guidelines.