Twitter icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

Honorable Tim Walz

Representing the 1st District of MINNESOTA

Immigration, Travel and Passport Assistance


For general information about immigration issues, visit the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Can Congressman Walz’s office help to expedite my application to become a United States citizen?

The USCIS processes millions of naturalization applications each year. As part of the process, your application must undergo a security clearance. The FBI states that the majority of name checks clear electronically within 48-72 hours. The remaining applications must undergo a manual search which can take an extended period of time. The FBI has informed my office that expedited requests for name checks can only be made by the FBI’s customer agencies. Therefore, my office is not able to contact the FBI regarding your name check. To view more information about the FBI security check process, please visit the FBI’s FAQ website here.

I have filed an application for an immigration benefit but have not received any information. Can Congressman Walz’s office assist me?

If you have a pending claim with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, my office can check on the status of your case. If the priority date on your application is not current, USCIS and the Department of State are unable to process your case ahead of other cases. To obtain a list of processing dates, please visit the USCIS application status webpage.

My relative or friend was denied a visa to travel to the United States. Can Congressman Walz’s office help my relative or friend to obtain a visa?

Applicants for visitor visas must prove that they have a residence outside the United States which they have no intention of abandoning. Cases that do not unequivocally establish the applicant's intention to return to their home country are routinely denied and are extremely difficult to overcome in later applications.

Unfortunately, there is no appeal process for denials of visitor visa applications. If your relative or friend plans to reapply for a visa and can demonstrate evidence of strong ties to his or her homeland, my office can send a letter to the Embassy or Consulate requesting due consideration of the application.

Other possible questions:

Please contact my office for assistance with any additional questions or problems you may have.

Passport Assistance

The U.S. State Department offers excellent resources for citizens traveling outside the U.S. You should check before you depart for information about required documentation for entry into a particular country, travel warnings and alerts, information on international adoptions and emergency contact information should you require the services of an American embassy while you're traveling.

How long does it currently take to get a passport?

According to the Department of State, passport applications (first time applications and renewals) are taking 10 to 12 weeks, and expedited applications and renewals are taking approximately 3 weeks.

What do I need to do in order to meet the requirements for travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda?

Effective January 1, 2009 all U.S. citizens are now required to present a passport book, passport card, or Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-compliant document when entering the United States.

Make sure to find out what the entry requirements are for the country you are visiting. In some cases, you may need to contact the visiting country's Embassy. Travel information is available at

I am a U.S. citizen traveling to somewhere other than Mexico, Canada, or the Bermuda and Caribbean regions. Do I need a passport, and if so, what should I do?

You still need a passport to exit and re-enter the U.S. when traveling to any county other than those listed above. For a complete list of travel document requirements, visit

How can Congressman Walz’s office assist me with my passport?

If you depart for your trip within two weeks and you applied for a passport more than 10 business days ago and your application status is not available online, my office can help. Before contacting my office, please check on the current status of your application and get your locator number, then, contact my Rochester office by phone at (507) 206-0643 for further assistance.