Federal government offices in or around the 1st district
Other Government Information
Some Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Social Security and Medicare
My office can help you with determining Social Security benefits, as well as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Medicare eligibility.
- Do you want to know if you qualify for disability and SSI? Use Social Security's Screening Tool (BEST) to check if you do.
- Do you need information on how to apply for Medicare? Go to the Medicare Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Do you have other general questions about social security services and benefits? Find an answer on the Social Security Administration's Answers to Your Questions page.
My office can assist you with receiving benefits, eligibility determination, and replacement of medals earned.
- Would you like to apply for veterans benefits? Use VONAPP to apply online.
- Would you like to appeal a decision? Find out how at the Board of Veterans Appeals.
The federal government provides three main forms of housing assistance:
- Assistance for homeowners/homebuyers
- Direct assistance for low-income renters
- Grants to states and localities to help provide affordable housing
Where can I find housing counseling agencies?
You can find low-cost or free HUD-approved counseling on rental assistance, foreclosure prevention, debt management, buying a home, etc. here.
I am facing foreclosure on my home because of predatory lending. Where can I get assistance?
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has approved agencies throughout Minnesota to provide housing and financial counseling to individuals and families. You can find a list of HUD-approved foreclosure counseling agencies here.