Twitter icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

Honorable Tim Walz

Representing the 1st District of MINNESOTA

Student Resources

The following information is for Students. Please contact our office for assistance with any questions or problems you may have.

All Kids Resources | Kindergarten-5th Grade | 6th-12th Grade | College | Financial Aid

Our younger constituents are the future of our district and providing them information that can enhance their education is important to their development. Below are some resources that will be useful to kids.

In addition, there are resources for parents.

All Kids Resources

Kindergarten-5th Grade

6th-12th Grade



Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I apply for student loans for college?

You can apply for a Federal Student Aid PIN (Personal Identification Number), fill out a FAFSA, and apply for federal student aid from the U.S. Department of Education online at

If you have questions regarding loan options or the application process, contact your school’s financial aid office directly.

I am unable to repay my student loans because I am disabled and on a limited income. Can Congressman Walz’s office help me?

The U.S. Department of Education offers resources for individuals who are unable to repay their student loans. Information is available here. In some very limited circumstances, the U.S. Department of Education will allow a discharge of your student loans. For information on how to apply for a discharge of your student loans, please visit the link above, or contact my Rochester office.

Financial Aid for Students

Guides students through the process of locating and applying for financial aid. Prepared by the Congressional Research Service for Members of Congress, updated August 2013.

The basics: getting started


Student aid and where it comes from


Basic assistance categories:


  • Financial need-based
    Remember that students and their parents are responsible for paying what they can -- financial aid is a supplement, not a substitute, for family resources.
  • Non need-based
    Factors include academic excellence, ethnic background, or organization membership. Corporations may also offer assistance to employees and children.

Federal Student Aid:

States offer residents a variety of scholarships, loans, and tuition exemptions.


Colleges and universities provide some 20% of aid, most need-based. Check university Web sites and the institution’s financial aid office when you apply for admission.

Private foundations, corporations, and organizations offer scholarships or grants:
College Board Scholarship Search

Targeted aid for special groups


Interested in public service?

Federal assistance programs seek to encourage people to work in geographic areas or professions where there’s a particular need (such as doctors in underserved areas); encourage underrepresented groups to enter a particular profession; and provide aid in exchange for services provided (such as military service).

Aid for private K-12 education: No direct federal assistance, check with schools themselves:

Repaying your loans


After college, the federal government has ways to help you repay your loans.