Walz Stands Up for Troops in Work on National Defense Authorization
WASHINGTON, DC [6/29/17] – Congressman Tim Walz (D-MN) participated in the mark-up of the Fiscal Year 2018 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) on the House Armed Services Committee.
“Every year, the National Defense Authorization is the way we express our nation’s values on how our nation’s military should move forward,” said Rep. Walz. “I was proud to participate this year to fight for fairness in benefits for Minnesota National Guard soldiers, to advocate that climate change be taken seriously as a national security threat, and to honor the service and sacrifice of those who have served. I am pleased a number of the measures I championed were included in the final version. I hope as we continue to craft national defense policy, we will embrace the idea that our soldiers are our most important resource.”
Walz Provisions Included:
National Guard Troops
- Walz Amendment to ensure National Guard troops get equal benefits for equal services when they are called up in the same way as active duty troops.
- Walz, working with Rep. Carol Shea-Porter, was able to get Tricare benefits included in the legislation, but will need to continue fighting for additional benefits.
- This amendment was inspired by Mankato Red Bull troops who were deployed to Egypt for the past year under the controversial §12304b mobilization authority.
- To see Rep. Walz speak on this issue in Committee, please click here: https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4675260/rep-tim-walz-fights-national-guard-troops
Purple Heart Recognition
- Walz Amendment honors the service and sacrifice of those who have earned a Purple Heart and encourages Americans to ensure our nation never forgets their courage.
National Guard Flyovers
- Walz Amendment allows states to approve their own jet and helicopter flyovers.
- Walz Amendment honors U.S. Special Operations Command in recognition for all they do on behalf of our nation as the tip of the spear in pursuit of U.S. national interests.
Collaboration to Defeat Terrorism
- Recognizing that military strength is only one piece of the puzzle, Walz Amendment ensures the Department of Defense coordinates closely with the State Department, USAID, and non-government 501(c)(3) organizations in the battle to combat terrorism around the globe.
Walz also strongly supported an amendment making clear that climate security is a critical national security issue and strongly opposed efforts to restrict transgender Americans from serving in the military.